In the ever-evolving world of blogging, where trends shift and algorithms change, staying ahead of the blogging curve is crucial for the success of your blog and/or brand. As we hurtle towards 2024, the blogging landscape continues to morph, presenting both challenges and opportunities for content creators, myself included, even after over a decade of successful blogging!
To ensure your blogging journey is marked by growth and engagement, let’s explore 10 common blogging mistakes to avoid in 2024…
- Ignoring Mobile Optimisation: In an era dominated by smartphones and tablets, neglecting mobile optimisation is a BIG no-no. Ensure your blog is responsive and offers a seamless experience across various devices. Google prioritises mobile-friendly sites, so staying in their good graces is essential for visibility. Enlist the advice of a web pro to help make sure your blog is in tip-top shape when it comes to this.
- Overlooking SEO Best Practices: Search Engine Optimisation (SEO), can be befuddling, but it remains a cornerstone of successful blogging. Failing to conduct keyword research, optimise meta tags, and build backlinks can hinder your blog’s discoverability and is one of the major blogging mistakes to avoid. Stay abreast of SEO trends, and consider booking onto a short course. This will help to maintain and improve your SEO skills and ultimately search engine rankings. Even after several years of blogging, I still find that there is always something to learn when it comes to SEO.
- Inconsistent Posting Schedule: Consistency is key for the successful blogger! We all know that life gets in the way, but erratic posting can alienate your audience and harm your blog’s credibility. Develop a realistic posting schedule and stick to it. This not only appeases your audience but also signals to search engines that your site is active and relevant. I try and incorporate writing a blog 3 into my schedule, alongside my other work, 3 times a week, and if I can write more then it’s a bonus!
- Ignoring Video Content: Video content is fast gaining momentum, and blogs that fail to incorporate this medium risk falling behind. Platforms like YouTube and TikTok have become powerful tools for reaching wider audiences. Consider adding video content to complement your written posts and engage a broader demographic.
- Neglecting Email Marketing: Building an email list can be an invaluable asset for bloggers. One of the blogging mistakes to avoid is neglecting this powerful tool means missing out on direct communication with your audience. If you can, spend some time writing content for compelling newsletters, share exclusive news and valuable content, and nurture your email subscribers to foster a loyal community around your blog.
- Overlooking User Experience (UX): A sleek design and user-friendly interface are crucial for retaining visitors. If your blog is difficult to navigate or visually unappealing, users may bounce off quickly. Invest time in optimising your blog’s UX to create a positive and lasting impression (see hiring a web-bod, above).
- Ignoring Analytics: Analytics are your compass in the blogging world, and ignoring data on user behaviour, traffic sources, and popular content means that you’re essentially operating in the dark. Regularly analyse your blog’s performance using tools like Google Analytics and Google Console. This will help you make informed decisions when it comes to the content that you’re producing, and refine your blogging strategy.
- Ignoring Trends in Visual Content: Visual content, from infographics to custom illustrations (I love using Canva!), is increasingly important in capturing audience attention. Neglecting to incorporate visually appealing elements into your blog can result in missed opportunities for engagement and visual appeal.
- Ignoring Social Media Engagement: Social media platforms are powerful allies in the blogging realm. It sounds obvious, but neglecting to engage with your audience on platforms can really limit your blog’s reach. Writing something great? You want to shout about it! Cultivate a strong social media presence to amplify your content and connect with a broader audience when it comes to your blog.
- Neglecting Community Building: Building a community around your blog is more than just accumulating followers. Engage with your audience through comments, forums, and social media. Foster a sense of belonging, and you’ll find that a dedicated community can be your blog’s greatest asset. Whilst the blogging community has certainly changed within the last decade, it’s still out there, and there is a community for everyone!
Having this checklist of blogging-mistakes-you-most-definitely-don’t-want-to-make as we finish 2023 and dive into 2024 can help pave the way for sustained growth and success. It’s a checklist that I will still be referring to, even as a seasoned blogger.
Embrace emerging trends, and, most importantly, stay true to your unique voice and perspective.
Here’s to a year of impactful blogging!
Enjoy some of my free blogging resources HERE!